Follow us on Twitter E-Mail Feed

Valentine's tasty heart pastries

Today is Valentine's Day! So I cooked something special, for someone special :)


In Finland, Valentine's Day is called Ystävänpäivä, "Friend's Day" and it's not only a celebration of love but also, as the name says, of friendship. I like this aspect A LOT. It's common here to give presents to your friends on Valentine's Day, other than making a pie for your lover. So, if you are single but have many friends you can celebrate Valentine's anyway! :)

Since my bf likes salty treats more than sweets and I still had in the freezer a pack of puff-pastry (the same I used for the Christmas Tarts), I decided to make small salty snacks to enjoy during lunch break. They had to be heart shaped of course!



From 2 layers of puff-pastry I cut 8 small heart shaped pastries. With the leftover pastry and filling I made a sort of croissant (which is not in the photos because it was really ugly XD). So I didn't waste any of the ingredients.

Ingredients (2 persons):
  • ready made all-butter puff pastry
  • about 100 g finely sliced ham
  • about 100 g of creamy cheese, I used garlic flavored one
  • 1/4 red pepper cut in small cubes
  • black pepper
  • 1 egg

Directions:
Let the frozen puff-pastry warm up at room temperature. When it's soft enough carve heart shapes with a cutter, cookie shaper or knife.
Mix in a bowl the finely sliced ham, red pepper cubes and cheese. Add some black pepper up to taste.
Drop some mixture on top of the pastries, but don't over do it! Otherwise it will fall apart while cooking.
Beat the egg in a bowl with fork until yolk and white are well mixed and brush it lightly over the pastries' edges. Bake in 225°C pre-heated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until they get a nice golden color.

Buon San Valentino!

1 comments:

Sugarcat said...

your boyfriend is so lucky!! <333

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...